Quilting Tips - Half Square Triangles (HST) 4 at a Time MethodFeb 28, 2023
Make 4 HST @ a time
Does your block call for 4 Half Square Triangles (HST)?
…Here's a quick & fun way to creating 4 HST at a time.
- start with two squares of equal size
- position them right sides together
- stitch an accurate quarter inch seam, all the way around your squares
- pivoting with your needle down at the corners
TIP: it doesn't really matter if you stitch off the corners (not pivot), as this will get cut off in the next step
- give your stitched squares a quick little press to set your seams
- then cut from corner to corner
now your HST are ready to square down
TIP: if using the quilt in a day ruler, (squaring HST folded) position your ruler marked line just on the top edge of the stitch line…this will allow for the fold
TIP: Positioning your pinky on the side of the ruler – helps stabilize your ruler from slipping.
- make your cut
- here’s a good time to remove those dog ears… to avoid the extra bulk
- press towards the dark
- or whatever direction indicated on your pattern
- repeat for your remaining HST
…and VOILA… 4 HST
Grab your free handy chart with instructions
Don't miss a stitch!
New ideas, inspiration, freebies and upcoming events delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.